Brainwave Entrainment (BWE) with audio called binaural beats or binaural tones are auditory processing artifacts, or apparent sound, the perception of which arises in the brain for specific physical stimuli. 
The effect was discovered in 1839 by Heinrich Wilhelm Dove, and has become more prominent in the late 20th century due to the claims that binaural beats can help induce relaxation, meditation, creativity and other sought after mental states.
I’ve been researching analyzing and using binaural beats for some time now, and I must confess, I am duly impressed with the effects of binaural beats in my life. I use them every day; twice a day, evening and morning. Now I hope to share with you some of my findings.
First and foremost let me say right off the bat, there is a great deal of scientific, clinical and PHD research as well as clinical usage that ‘proves’ that BWE works, and…
…there are also some major benefits to be experienced from using binaural beats as well as other kinds of brain wave entrainment.
Here’s a sample of a 7-4Hz Binaural Beat Delta Range (normally listened to with Headphones)
Binaural beats have been proven to increase relaxation, reduce stress, decrease anxiety and even help in the production of various hormones.
Binaural beats have also been proven to increase focus and creativity as well as help in the elimination of unwanted behaviours.
In fact, while I am writing this blog entry, I am listening to a beat frequency to help reduce my headache, I have been listening to it for about eight minutes now, and, I can definitely say that my headache has already dropped from an eight to a three on the pain scale, this is GREAT!
The benefits of brainwave entrainment have been known by scientists for years. Some benefits of BWE are;
Binaural beats are ‘produced by the brain’ when two distinct tones of differing frequency are presented to each ear. When we hear these two tones, the effect is rather strange: instead of hearing two separate tones, the brain ‘converts’ the sound into a pulsating beat or a beating pulse.
Basically what you are hearing is an “auditory hallucination” and they have a very real effect upon our brain. This effect is called “Frequency Following Response” (FFR) this is where our brainwaves synchronize with the newly created pulse or frequency. The ‘beat rate’, or frequency is determined by the difference in the two individual frequencies.
For example, if a tone of 325Hz is presented to the right ear, and a tone of 315Hz to the left ear – your brain will then ‘convert’ these tones into a single beating tone of 10Hz, this is the difference between the two tones of 325Hz and 315Hz. Your brainwaves will begin to synchronize with the 10Hz tone; this is called ‘Brainwave entrainment’.
‘Brainwave entrainment’ and ‘binaural beats’ are used interchangeably. The FFR phenomenon is created by the ‘binaural beat’, all FFR are the result of brain entrainment, but not all FFR are caused by binaural beats. There are many other types of brainwave entrainment some are listed here;
*read more about white, pink and brown noise http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise
Frequency Following Response can also be brought about by other methods, such as flashing lights, where the lights would flash rapidly, in this case the frequency (Hz) is determined by the rate of the flashing.
OK, let’s take a look at some compelling scientific and medical evidence for Binaural Beats.
1) A study by Thomas Budzynski Ph.d found that college students who used brainwave entrainment technology drastically out performed those that did not.
2) Dr Elmet Green, a prominent biofeedback pioneer, found that there was an increase in learning ability, mental clarity, intelligence and intuition; he also reported positive changes in mental and emotional health. He says, with the creation of new neural pathways, more choices are available, this would account for the amazing personality changes that researches have reported in people using brainwave technology.
3) Science writer Michael Hutchison reports that scientists “have found that peak states are clearly linked to very specific patterns of brain activity. These include dramatic changes in brainwave activity, hemispheric symmetry, and rapid alterations in the levels of various neurochemicals. By using precise combinations of pulsating sound waves, they can actually produce those same ‘peak state’ brain patterns in ordinary people.”
4) Dr. Suzanne Evans Morris, says, “Theta brainwaves are associated with greater access to internal and external knowledge and intuition in problem solving (it also) encourages hemispheric synchronization, and reduces mind chatter.
5) Neuroscientist Dr Robert Capel: “There is a remarkable generalized effect when brainwave patterns are slowed into the alpha, theta and delta ranges. Slowing of brain wave patterns increases electrical fluctuations in the brain. This changes the neural structure and pushes the brain to reorganize itself at higher, more complex levels of functioning. This reorganization process corresponds to the 1977 Nobel prize winning work of scientist Ilya Prigogine.”
6) Dr. Margaret Patterson has shown that certain frequencies in the brain dramatically speed up production of a variety of neurotransmitters. A 10 Hz (alpha) signal boosts the production and turnover rate of serotonin, a chemical messenger that increases relaxation and eases pain, and catecholamines, vital for memory and learning, respond at around 4 Hz (theta).
7) Dr. Jim Hardt, founder of Biocybernaut, conducted a major study of women 60-81 years of age. His subjects practiced restoring youthful brainwave patterns using neuro-feedback techniques for one week. There were remarkable reversals of many of the aspects of aging, and improvements in motivation, energy, and happiness. Many of the subjects went back to college, getting degrees, even advanced degrees. Others entered into new relationships, and some even started new businesses.
8) Dr Vincent Giampapa, MD Former president of American Board of Anti-Ageing Medicine, New England Journal of Medicine.
Dr Giampapa suggests that the use of Binaural beats ‘dramatically’ affect the production of three hormones responsible for longevity of life and overall well-being: Cortisol,DHEA and melatonin.
In an independent study using Holysync branded binaural beats:
“A Comprehensive Review of the Psychological Effects of Brainwave Entrainment”, Tina L Huang, PHD, and Christine Charyton, PHD.
A great research paper perfectly summarizes 20 previous peer-reviewed studies into the psychological effects of Brainwave Entrainment & Binaural Beats.
An overall conclusion was brainwave entrainment is an “effective therapeutic tool”. It was purported that, people who suffered from cognitive functioning deficits, stress, pain, headaches & migraines, PMS as well as behavioural problems all benefited from using binaural beats.
Here is a sample quote from the paper: “The immediate psychological effects on memory, attention, stress, pain, headaches and migraines were shown to benefit from even a single session of brainwave entrainment”.
One study found that improvements in intelligence and behaviour lasted even after the binaural beats were withdrawn, and that previous users could now produce the brainwave frequencies induced by BWE on their own. This suggests that the results can be permanent, even after you stop using binaural beats.
I have listed a selection of studies and research papers that prove that Brainwave Entrainment technology (such as Binaural Beats) work.
After all the research and the extensive use of ‘brainwave entrainment’ I have to say, binaural beats work. It is my sincere hope, that the information that I have made available to you on this site, has inspired you to seize the opportunity to improve your health and well being in a safe, fun and natural way. I truly believe that you will have lots of fun in using binaural beats – and you mind, body and spirit will all benefit from using them. So, go and enjoy your binaural beats experience.
Although I have done my best to present my findings in this article as accurately as possible, I must state that, I am not a doctor, a pharmacist or even a student of medicine or psychology. So I ask you to please forgive any mistakes or unintentional misrepresentations. I did however, study Theology and have been helping people deal with ‘life issues’ for over two decades now, so I do have extensive exposure to the effects of programming on the human mind. Please don’t rely on my research alone, please always exercise your own due diligence. Please accept my apologies for any dates and/or citations that are missing; this is due to lack of information in the articles and or reports themselves.
Please note, that in the use of such programs, there are a number of health warnings that should be noted when using brainwave entrainment software/programs.
Most importantly, people who suffer with epilepsy or seizures should NOT use brainwave entrainment without first consulting their doctor, as there is a small risk of seizure associated with individuals predisposed to epileptic fits.
Other individuals, such as those that are pregnant, wear a pacemaker, are photosensitive, have serious mental disorders or are under the influence of alcohol, drugs or medication should seek advice from a doctor before using and ‘brainwave entrainment’ program.
Individuals aged 18 or under should also seek medical advice/approval prior to use.
Always check any relevant WARNINGS that may come with each brainwave entrainment program.